Tuesday, March 24, 2009

[caption id="attachment_84" align="alignnone" width="200" caption="The new baby chickies at 2.5 weeks"]The new baby chickies at 2.5 weeks[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_85" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="The birdhouse my son & I built a couple of years ago for scouts now has it's permanent home."]The birdhouse my son & I built a couple of years ago for scouts now has it's permanent home.[/caption]

It is a gorgeous day! I am so loving this weather. It's too bad we can't have this all day, every day. Because life would be just about perfect as far as I'm concerned.

First off, the little chickies are getting pretty cute. I was over at my father-in-laws yesterday, and he only has 3 little ones left out of the 5 I left him with. I do think he has 2 baby hens, & 1 rooster. Of course, it is hard to tell. We'll have to see if I am right.

And the garden is coming right along. I really love to put a seed in the ground and watch for that first little disturbance of soil with a little peep of green shooting through. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I just can't stand it and I did a little to see if the seed is sprouting.

A couple of years ago, my then 9yr old son was needing to make a birdhouse for display at a pack meeting. We looked for a while online for a good design. He wanted to do something cool. Finally, I just told him that while he was at school, I would design it out and them he could help cut it and put it together. So, when he got home, that's what we did. He actually did all the putting together and them also painted it. We hunted all over for something to do the roof with and then came up with cutting thin aluminum flashing and fashioning a roof from that. So, he & I cut the pieces and I held them while he nailed them to the birdhouse. It even has a hinged door so it can be cleaned out if needed. Then he painted the whole thing himself. When we took it to pack meeting that nite, of course, all the other birdhouses were ones that were not quite as ornate.  And no one believed that he did so much of it himself. However, I am very proud of him and the birdhouse we made together. I think it looks amazing in the yard. The tray around it is for bird seed. It just needs an occupant...

I finally got the hen house painted. I love the green color. Yesterday, I was in the car with my daughter and I had the idea that what it needs is some shutters to each side of the window with a rooster cut-out. I found a picture of some today and I might start work on those this afternoon if I have time. I can hardly wait. It will be so cute! My husband & I built this last year with some help from some of the kids. We bought the plans online. Then this winter, he and my brother put the shingles on the roof. He loves to talk about how much it costs, but I think the best thing is that even in the summer, those chickens have some glorious shade, as well as the fact that I can walk into it and clean it out. The chickens seem to like it but of course, they love to come out of it just as much.

[caption id="attachment_99" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Front view of hen house."]Front view of hen house.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_100" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Back view of hen house."]Back view of hen house.[/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment