Friday, August 28, 2009

August in the Garden

DS3_9605

I saw an idea somewhere where they had put dried sunflower heads on a topiary for a fall arrangement and thought it looked pretty awesome. Since I still have some small size sunflowers hanging on, I decided this would be awesome to try for fall, as I can hardly wait for it to cool off and I am pretty sure the garden feels the same, as it's supposed to be 112 degrees today.

DS3_9602_edited-1

This little melon is called "Sakata's Sweet" from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds at www.rareseeds.com and is listed as an asian melon & actually is known as Japanese. It's leaves are somewhat smaller than a traditional american melon, so far anyway, and as I have never grown this, but thought is looked interesting based on the description in the Baker Creek catalogue, I hope it bears fruit, because I would definately like to taste it. According to the catalogue, the author of Melons for the Passionate Grower, Dr. Amy Goldman, recommends this particular variety. I haven't read her book, but would like to browse through it the next time I am at the bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment