Monday, February 2, 2015

Seedlings Looking Good



It's time to start thinking about a spring garden! If you haven't started thinking about what varieties you will plant this year, you'd better get busy. Even if you aren't lucky enough to enjoy Arizona's year round gardening weather, Jan/Feb is the perfect time to order seed catalogs and begin making garden plans. 

I like to order my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, located in Mansfield, MO, and have been doing so for years, simply because of the varieties of non-GMO seeds that they offer. On a side note, they actually have a Spring Planting Festival in May every year. I would LOVE to go, and one of these years I will make the effort. 

A few weeks ago, I spent a lovely afternoon getting my little seedlings planted in their cute little pots. (I love that color! It's my fave...) The tomato varieties that I started on 1-16-2015 are all starting to get their 2nd leaves. That means that I can start giving them liquid food once a week or so, until they are ready to go out in the garden at the end of the month. They are happy in their little greenhouse and our weather here in Arizona is going to be 80 degrees by Saturday, so if that holds through the month, it will be perfect for these little guys to get transplanted out into their permanent home in the garden.


As you can see in the picture above, the sugar snap peas really are going for it. I probably should have just put them right into the garden, except last year I fought with the birds over them, & I wasn't into that this year. (The birds thought they should be eaten & I didn't!) I actually had to replant those little guys 3 times until I got smart and put covers over them. This year, I've been working to redo some of the beds in the garden, so I decided to just start them indoors, which would actually save me the effort of having to replant them or cover them. They've been fine, but today, with the weather so nice, I decided to start the hardening off process so they can be transplanted. If you don't know what that means, hardening off is when you put your seedlings out into the weather they will be in, for a few hours a day, just to give them a gradual adjustment to the wind & sun, and being out of their protected little environment they've been in. If you don't do this, they actually take offense, and go into a much longer shock period. Well, that's all for today.

Happy gardening!




No comments:

Post a Comment